MURC: Mathematics Undergraduate Representative Committee

Minutes Archive

Back to list of Minutes

    Friday 24th November 2000

    Present

  • Herbert Pang
  • Stephen Black
  • Rosemary Penny
  • Lucy Smaith
  • Ryhs Davies
  • Kathereine Everard
  • Debra Smith
  • Brenda Cundy
  • Robert Maddison
  • Jenny Ward
  • Rachel Zammett
  • Charlie Suffers
  • James Levett
  • Pontus Lurcock
  • Chris Potter
  • Samatha Smith
  • Sohail Alibhai
  • Alan Smith
  • Bojana Pejic
  • Wai Yi Feng
  • Emily Leeper
  • Rachel Malpass
  • Rebecca Lodwick
  • Gemma Lowndes
  • Jenny Weaver
  • Rebecca Wadcock.
  • Apologies for absence.

  • None.
  • Minutes of the last MURC meeting.

  • The Minutes of the meeting held on the 23rd October were approved.
  • Matters arising

  • There were no matters arising.
  • Maths Sub-Faculty: Chairperson to report.

  • Jason said that there was little to report apart from the fact that the new course idea was discussed but the tutors didn't like it and one of the main reasons for this was a a fear that first year would become to "slack". The only other thing of note is that Open Day is to be slightly earlier than normal on the 5th of May
  • Stats Sub-Faculty: Chairperson to report.

  • Again there was little support here for the course overhaul but obviously they are more concerned with the new Maths and Stats degree. The need for a Stats Rep from MURC was highlighted. In response to the course overhaul idea Charles Suffers suggested that we, as MURC ,were in favour of further investigation into changes. Dr Neumann requested 3 people to join the course reorganisation committee, preferably one person who does mainly pure options, one mainly applied and one mainly Stats. He also asked if he could have a mixture of second and third years. We had the following volunteers: Charles Suffers Queens (Physical Applied) Rosemary Penny Worcestor (Stats) Alan Smith University (Pure) These names will be given to Dr Neumann by email.
  • Maths and Stats degree.

  • Professor Donelly was very interested in MURC's opinion of this. Jason told us a bit about this. He asked if people thought there wasn't enough Stats in the existing degree and Jason also told us that it has been decided that Stats will go into Mods instead of Discrete Maths which will be moved to an a paper. And also, a5 is to contain more Stats, some of b8 will go into a5. We were asked to think about how it will affect admissions and a potential problem is that some colleges simply couldn?t provide tutors for the degree, this would mean a possibility for college classes throughout which MURC didn't really like and suggested that like other subjects do at present, we could go to tutors in other colleges. The Stats degree is a 4 year course and the University will offer 40 places. One of the MURC Reps suggested that the degree would be very popular and he said that at least 30% of his year would have taken this degree had it been offered.
  • Questionnaires

  • Charles reported that all the new questionnaires had been handed out and everything had gone well. Professor Friesecke will be leaving year.
  • Standing orders.

  • Jason went through the existing standing orders and made the following points:
    • The posts of Treasurer and Bookstall manager have been amalgamated.
    • A new post of Publicity rep had been created whose role is to circulate minutes and agendas and also to keep the notice board up to date.
    • Need to add the following posts; Stats rep, Comp/Maths and Comp rep, maths and Philosophy rep.
    • Internet Officer.
    • One Open Day Co-ordinator to work with the publicity rep.
    • Add Questionnaire Officer.(add this to JCCU as well)
    • Remove from JCCU Engineering and computer science rep.

    Bookstall

  • This will be held on Wednesday of 8th week. Pontus Lurcock reported on the possibility that we would collaborate with the Oxford book exchange helping them publicise, this would probably mean that, in the long term, we wouldn't need a bookstall. Pontus suggested it would be a good idea to have a link on the website. The problem is, of course, that MURC's only source of income is the Bookstall.
  • New MURC reps

  • Chairperson: Rachel Malpass (St Johns)
  • Secretary: Rachel Zammett (Exeter)
  • Bookstall/Treasurer: Rebecca Wadcock (St Peters)
  • Publicity Officer: Gemma Lowndes (Mansfield)
  • Stats rep: Rebecca Lodwick (Mansfield)
  • Maths and Comp rep/Internet Officer: Herbert Pang (Keble)
  • Open Day co-ordinator: Stephen Black (Keble)
  • Questionnaire rep: James Levett (Queens)