Mathematics is all around us in everyday life. In Princeton I lecture a course called Math Alive, demonstrating the importance of mathematics in the real world. The course shows the mathematics behind anything from internet purchases, music, money management, to game shows. If you are interested to learn more about this course then you can look at the course notes as well as a website that gives an insight into the course from a student's perspective.
Math Alive class, 2017.
Math Alive - official webpage.
Math Alive - a student's perspective. A website designed by Elena Di Rosa, Math Alive course student 2014.
Below are some examples of students' websites that highlight the presence of mathematics in everyday life.
Mathematics in Technology
Mathematics in Sports
Mathematics in the Arts
- Patterns in nature. (Audrey Macek, 2017)
- Movies. (Jeanie Dwinell, 2016)
- Mathematics in poetry. (Fiora Elber-Tibbitts, 2016)
- Chaos and fractals. (Lauren Steidl, 2016)
- The mathematics of leap years. (Madeline Rodriguez, 2016)
- Math and Messiaen. (Emily Tu, 2015)
- Zentangles. (Isabel Di Rosa, 2015)
- Divide and Conquer Estates. (Mary Heath Manning, 2015)
- Glitch Art. (Miles Carey, 2015)
- The Imitation Game. (Lawrence Chang, 2015)