Nick Trefethen Essays
- Trefethen and Bau 25th anniversary
(SIAM News, June 2022)
- Rational functions and beyond
(SIAM News, Dec. 2020)
(Notices AMS, Dec. 2016)
Surprises of the Faraday Cage
(SIAM News, July-Aug. 2016)
Review of The Princeton Companion to Applied Mathematics
(SIAM Review, Sept. 2015)
Why have SIAM journal papers grown so long?
(SIAM News, Aug. 2015)
(see also this)
Review of Wegert's Visual Complex Functions
(SIAM Review, Dec. 2013)
GH Hardy, Applied Mathematician
(SIAM News, Apr. 2008)
- Numerical analysis
Companion to Mathematics, 2008)
- Gene Golub obituary
(Nature, 13 Dec. 2007)
- Ten digit algorithms
(Mitchell Lecture, Dundee, June 2005)
- An American at Oxford
(Oxford Magazine, May 2003)
- Predictions for scientific computing 50 years from now
(Mathematics Today, 2000)
- Maxims about numerical mathematics, computers, science,
(SIAM News, Jan/Feb 1998)
definition of numerical analysis
(SIAM News, Nov 1992)
LMS Newsletter "Notes of a Numerical Analyst":
- Sept 2020: What we learned from Galois
- Nov 2020: Two cubes
- Mar 2021: At the edge of infinity
- May 2021: Multivariate polynomials
- July 2021: The universe speaks in numbers?
- Sept 2021: Random smoothies
- Nov 2021: Floating point arithmetic
- Jan 2022: Hermite polynomial surprises
- Mar 2022: Is everything a rational function?
- May 2022: A picture worth 2000 words
- July 2022: Random Fibonacci sequences
- Sept 2022: What's the degree of xn?
- Nov 2022: Nonsmooth landscapes
- Jan 2023: Analytic continuation
- Mar 2023: Randomness and certainty
- May 2023: Dribbling a ball
- July 2023: Double exponential bump functions
- Sept 2023: Which is smaller,
O(n2) or O(n3)?
SIAM News President's columns:
- Jan/Feb 2011: On transitions, traditions, and a mathematical trend
- March 2011: Data mining: 100 feet of SIAM journals
- April 2011: Conditions at the pure/applied boundary
- May 2011: For the prize of a pizza
- June 2011: Let's have some letters to the editor!
- July/Aug 2011: A new paper from every conference?
- Sept 2011: Seeing new connections
- Oct 2011: A couple of steps removed from weather prediction
- Nov 2011: What's in a name?
- Dec 2011: Favorite eigenvalue problems
- Jan/Feb 2012: Parallel progressions
- March 2012: Distracting digits
- April 2012: Culture change in store for SIAM journals
- May 2012: Discrete or continuous?
- June 2012: What lasts?
- July/Aug 2012: Nutty about writing
- Sept 2012: A talent for making things happen
- Oct 2012: What's so special about complex variables?
- Nov 2012: The smart money's on numerical analysis
- Dec 2012: Refelections on a SIAM presidency
Return to Trefethen homepage